Keep Your Cat Safe From Holiday Plants

Lots of people know that some holiday plants are poisonous to pets. Mistletoe and Holly are a number of the simplest known but did you ever believe your Christmas tree? Most pet owners worry about them tipping it over but don’t believe if their pet eats it.

Christmas may be a time for several new things to be added to your home. Families want their home to be festive and colorful. this suggests bringing in beautiful plants and live trees. Most cats can’t resist chewing on the vacation plants and tree. Many of those plants are poisonous to your cat. There are different levels of toxicity from mild to extreme. the quantity of plant ingested is said to the extent of poisoning. Kittens are the foremost interested by the new green plants. Dose is size dependent, so kittens have a greater risk of plant poisoning.

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees are considered mildly toxic. The oils of the fir can irritate the mouth and stomach, causing excessive drooling or vomiting.

Christmas tree needles aren’t easily digested. this might possibly cause GI irritation, vomiting, gastrointestinal obstruction or puncture.

Artificial trees also can be dangerous if eaten. the most worry is that the toxin released from the synthetic material and possible ileus . The needles can’t be digested by your cat.

As noted earlier, the quantity consumed will determine the quantity of worry needed. Most times, cats don’t consume considerably tree substance.

An additional safety note would be to think about the tree water. Pesticides, fertilizers and other preservative agents are commonly wont to keep the tree fresh. These are often harmful or deadly to any cats which will drink it. attempt to use a covered tree water dish to be safe.

Holiday Plants

Bright holiday plants make great decorations and gifts this point of year. they’ll also pose threats to your pet from mild to severe toxicity potential.

Poinsettia plants have often be labeled as highly toxic. this is often actually just an urban legend. Poinsettia plant sap is taken into account mildly toxic or irritating. it’s going to cause vomiting or nausea but doesn’t typically cause death.

Mistletoe and Holly are both considered to be moderately to severely toxic. The berries also because the leaves pose a drag . If ingested, contact your veterinarian or poison center for advice immediately.

Lilies and Daffodils are considered very toxic for your cat. this is able to also include the Amaryllis and Narcissus plants. Your cat rubbing against the lily plant are often even as severe as them eating it. When your cat grooms themselves to wash up, they’re ingesting the pollen from the plant. Any bulb kit featuring one among the plants within the lily or daffodil family, could pose a threat to your pet. attempt to keep any of those plants faraway from your cat. Severe symptoms like cardiac arrhythmias, renal failure , gastrointestinal signs, convulsions and even death can occur.

What to seem For

If you think that your cat may have eaten a number of your plants or Christmas tree, await any changes in their behavior. commonest signs associated with toxic plant ingestion are vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and sometimes excessive drooling. Tremors or seizures could also be seen is a few cases when Holly berries are ingested. Coma and death are common in these cases.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top